Who doesn’t like a mix of sweet and salty? These Keto French Toast Pigs in a Blanket are the perfect bite-sized treats for breakfast, brunch or dessert! Enjoy the sweetness of Kiolbassa Maple Breakfast Links and syrup with the salty crunch of Kiolbassa Dry Cured Hickory Bacon! Recipe courtesy of our friends at A Full Living
- 10 oz Kiolbassa Smoked Meats Dry Cured Hickory Bacon (7 slices, or half of a package)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar replacement of choice
- 20 links Kiolbassa Smoked Meats Maple Breakfast Sausage
- 4 whole eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk (use nut milk for lower carbs)
- 1/2 cup sugar replacement of choice
- 2 tbsp sugar free maple syrup of choice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (optional and to taste)
- 10 slices low carb bread of choice, crust cut off, rolled out, and cut in half
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- sugar free maple syrup of choice & confectioners sugar replacement of choice, to taste for serving
Serves: 20 people
- To make the keto candied bacon, preheat your oven to 375°F. Dredge each slice of bacon in your brown sugar replacement in a shallow dish, then place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake until desired level of crispiness is achieved, watching carefully for the last few minutes to avoid burning, about 15-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes to let the sweetener adhere to the bacon and harden. Cut into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
- To make the keto french toast pigs in a blanket, heat and brown the sausage in a cast iron skillet until just warmed a slightly brown. You may want to do this in batches. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar free maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and sweetener. Whisk to combine, and set aside.
- Cut the crusts off of your bread, then flatten with a rolling pin. Cut each slice in half. In the center of each piece of bread, add a piece of candied bacon. You will have leftover candied bacon. We take the leftover and cut it up into small bites to top our french toast pigs in a blanket at the end.
- Place a sausage link over top of the candied bacon piece in the middle of your bread, then roll the sides of the bread around it until they touch in the middle. Pinch the two ends of the bread together to form a seal. Dunk each sausage roll in your french toast mixture so it's all coated.
- Preheat your oven to 200°F. In a skillet, over medium-low heat, melt half your butter. Add the sausage french toast rolls seam side down touching the hot skillet to seal. Cook in batches, 4-5 at a time, adding the remaining butter halfway through. Cook until french toast part is browned on all sides, then transfer to a baking sheet and place in the oven to keep warm while you cook the remaining french toast sausage rolls.
- To serve, dust with a confectioner's sugar replacement (optional), drizzle with sugar free maple syrup, and top with remaining candied bacon. Enjoy!
Here at Kiolbassa, we know a thing or two about making the country’s best smoked meats. However, we aren’t nutritionists. The nutritional information that we have included for our recipes is our best estimation. We can’t guarantee that it is 100% accurate. Please consult a licensed nutritionist for exact nutritional content.