When it’s the most important meal of the day, make it bold, savory, and memorable. Guaranteed to be sweet with a side of smoky and bold flavor from Kiolbassa Breakfast Links, this French Toast Sausage Bake is guaranteed to please! Recipe courtesy of Southern Bite.
- 1 (12 to 14-ounce) loaf French bread (not baguette)
- 1 (10-ounce) package Kiolbassa Smoked Breakfast Links
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- Optional toppings:
- Maple syrup
- Your favorite fresh fruit
Serves: 8 people
- Cut the bread into 1-inch cubes and cut the breakfast links into 1-inch pieces. Lightly spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Mix the bread and breakfast links together and pour it into the baking dish. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, eggs, whole milk, heavy cream, cinnamon, and vanilla. Evenly pour the mixture over the bread. Press the bread down into the mixture to help it absorb the egg mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and keep in the fridge overnight (or at least 4 hours) to allow the bread to absorb the egg mixture.
- Make the crumble topping by combining the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and pecans. Add the butter and mix until the butter incorporates and small clumps form. You can use the back of a spoon to press the mixture together or use your hands to pinch it all together. (This step can be done in advance and stored covered in the refrigerator or right before baking.)
- When ready to bake, remove the casserole from the oven and allow it to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. (Putting a cold dish into a hot oven may cause the dish to shatter.)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Once the dish is at room temperature, sprinkle the crumble topping over the casserole and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve topped with fresh fruit and maple syrup if desired.
Here at Kiolbassa, we know a thing or two about making the country’s best smoked meats. However, we aren’t nutritionists. The nutritional information that we have included for our recipes is our best estimation. We can’t guarantee that it is 100% accurate. Please consult a licensed nutritionist for exact nutritional content.