This recipe combines savory Kiolbassa Polish Sausage and doughy, keto pierogis for a delicious take on an old favorite! Recipe courtesy of Cast Iron Keto.
- 1 ½ cup shredded mozzarella (part-skim / low-moisture)
- ⅔ cup almond flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional but recommended)
- ½ cup pureed cooked cauliflower
- ¼ cup crumbled Farmer’s cheese
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic salt
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided in steps 6 and 7
- 13-ounce package of All Natural Kiolbassa Polish sausages, sliced ½ inch thick
- 2 small bell peppers, seeded and thickly sliced
- ½ medium yellow onion, thickly sliced
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Serves: 6 people
- To make the Pierogi filling, combine cauliflower, crumbled Farmer’s cheese, bacon, garlic salt, and onion powder. Mix together and set aside.
- To make the Pierogi dough, melt the mozzarella in a medium mixing bowl in the microwave, about 30 seconds. Stir in almond flour, egg, and xanthan gum (optional) into the mozzarella.
- Roll into a ball and knead 1 or 2 times. Place the dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper. Using a rolling pin roll the dough out to a ¼” thickness. Use a 3” circle cutter to cut circles out of the dough, mash the scraps back together and repeat until all you have left is the circles and no scraps.
- Divide the filling between the circles. Fold the circles over, pinching the sides together. Place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- To make the skillet, preheat oven broiler to 500° F.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the avocado oil in a 10” or larger cast iron skillet. Brown the Pierogis for 1-2 minutes per side until golden, transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet along with the Kiolbassa Sausage, brown 1-2 minutes per side until browned. Add the peppers and onions to the skillet. Cook 4-5 minutes until starting to soften. Layer in the Pierogis and sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese over the skillet. Place under the broiler for 5 minutes until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Here at Kiolbassa, we know a thing or two about making the country’s best smoked meats. However, we aren’t nutritionists. The nutritional information that we have included for our recipes is our best estimation. We can’t guarantee that it is 100% accurate. Please consult a licensed nutritionist for exact nutritional content.